Thursday, March 24, 2011

Surfing Into the Sunset

Funerals are never easy on anyone...but this is most especially true when it is the death of a child, or a young adult with newfound wings to fly with.
Today I paid my respects to a boy who I remember as a young red haired, freckled imp, full of life and love. My own children are a couple years younger, but we lived in a small town where everyone knows everyone, and we all came together on the football field. In that sense, we were one big Crusaders family.
There were no greater cheerleaders than his parents when he or his brothers were on the football field. I can still hear his mother on the sidelines, screaming loudly and with pride every game.
Today I cried while she smiled and comforted me, telling me  to "Ride a wave this summer for Brett, and be happy..don't be sad, he's with the Lord now."  Her strength is amazing.
Seeing the many pictures of Brett reflects a life well loved and lived..and his face shimmered with light; truly he is a special soul sent here to send everyone of us the message to Seize the Moment..and ride every wave as if it were your last one.
If anything else, I was reminded tonight that our time in the hourglass is always slipping away..and with that knowledge, no one should waste one single breath  on the negative or lesser emotions so many let control them. You never know what your last words will be, so choose them carefully.  And by all means, live...laugh,sing, dance, make a joyful noise, and love so hard your heart bursts within you. Because that is really what it is all about my friends..all the rest is just white noise.
Namaste, Brett.. thank you for sharing your light..catch a wave and sit on top of the world. ☼

No comments:

Post a Comment